Thursday 14 April 2011

Magdalen - April 2011

On Tuesday 12th April 2011, we went to our favourite restaurant, Magdalen with some friends of ours who now live in Toronto.
Our friends were intrigued as to why I had my camera ready to take some pictures of the meal as they know that I have posted a review on Magdalen already. I told them that Magdalen change their menu on a daily basis depending on what fresh produces they find. The dishes we were about to order have not been featured on my blog yet so it is nice to add to the blog to show how seasonal Magdalen is. This is one of the reasons we like Magdalen, they change their menu on a daily basis so we get to taste something new each time we go.
Below is the menu for this visit:




My friend was a bit disappointed when she didn't see the potted crab on the menu, as she loves that starter so much. She ordered the Devon Crab, celeriac and apple instead. I got to taste it and thought it was extremely good. Her husband ordered Smoked mackerel, beetroot and horseradish. My hubby and I ordered Fried crisp calves brains and gribiche, it was very yummy. I remember that my mother used to cook brain fairly often when I was living at home and I adore eating brains. There is no much opportunity to eat brains in London so I seize the opportunity when it arises! I wasn't disappointed, the brains were crispy as described in the menu, it was light and yummy.

Devon Crab, celeriac and apple


Smoked mackerel, beetroot and horseradish


Fried crisp calves brains and gribiche


For main course, we all ordered Roast rack of veal, potatoe gratin, carrots and sage except for my friend who ordered Baked plaice, monk's beard, samphire and crab butter sauce. The veal was very nice and pink, the potatoe gratin very tasty. I got to taste my friend's fish course and I thought it was sensational. The crab butter sauce was so amazing that my friend asked for some bread to eat with it. Good on her! Such tasty sauce shouldn't go wasted!
The chefs at Magdalen are very talented. Each dish is very well thought and executed to perfection.


Roast rack of veal, potatoe gratin, carrots and sage


Baked plaice, monk's beard, samphire and crab butter sauce


For dessert, my friend and I ordered Buttermilk pudding, Gariguette strawberries and shortbread. Her husband ordered Warm apple & almond tart, Calvados ice cream. My hubby ordered Chocolate and hazelnut terrine, Armagnac ice cream.  My dessert was pleasant enough but I wished I ordered Chocolate and hazelnut terrine, Armagnac ice cream, I thought my hubby's dessert was sensational. The description sounded a bit boring and that was why I didn't order it, but it turned out to be amazing!


Buttermilk pudding, Gariguette strawberries and shortbread


Warm apple & almond tart, Calvados ice cream


Chocolate and hazelnut terrine, Armagnac ice cream



Needless to say, we all enjoyed our meal very much! My friend is in London for 5 weeks, we have planned to return to Magdalen before she goes back to Canada. Hopefully, they will have potted crab, however I think my friend was  delighted with her crab starter during this visit.

The bill came to £162.84 for the four of us with a small carafe of red wine. It's very decent value for a meal of such quality. The service is always very friendly and professional but not stuffy. I am already looking forward to our next meal there!


Magdalen
152 Tooley Street
London SE1 2TU

Tel: 020 7403 1342


No comments:

Post a Comment