Monday 16 May 2011

Bordeaux - Easter 2011

Over Easter, my hubby and I went to Bordeaux to visit my family. We all love our food, it's in the family!
Before our visit, I planned all our meals with the help of my mother and sister! The meal plans consisted of eating-in with yummy Vietnamese dishes cooked by my mother and eating-out at restaurants.

On Friday evening, we ate at home. My mum made some Bi Cuon (Vietnamese shredded pork fresh rolls) and Bo Nhun Dam (Fillet of Beef cooked at the table in a hot vinegar broth. The beef is then rolled in a rice paper with lots of salad and aromartic herbs. The roll is then deeped in a fermented fish sauce called Mam Nem). For dessert, my sister bought a selection of patisseries.







On Saturday, for lunch we had oysters for starter and then some yummy roast pork belly with crackling which we ate with some rice vermicelli & lots of aromatic herbs. For dessert...more patisseries of course!

On Saturday evening, we ate at Restaurant L'Entrecote, the famous restaurant chain that serves a unique menu consisting of  a salad with walnut for starter and "Entrecote" steak with their secret sauce and pommes frites. It is a tradition that each time we visit my family we go there for dinner as we all love their steak with the secret sauce!

On Sunday, we went to St Emilion for lunch. We book a table at Logis de la Cadene. We ate at this restaurant many years ago and we always remember how delicious their "magret de canard grille au sarment" (duck breast grilled on vine shoots) was. We all ordered Duck Foie Gras for starter. For main course, my hubby and I ordered the duck breast grilled on vine shoots; it was as delicious as I remembered it. My mother and sister shared a delicious  Cote de Boeuf grilled on vine shoots. For dessert, my hubby and sister ordered three different creme brulees. My mother had sorbet and I ordered strawberries with a kind of zabaglione.







On Sunday evening, we ate Vietnamese at home. We had Mam Thai (Vietnamese fermented fish) with boiled pork belly. This dish is eaten with vermicelli and a lot of aromatic herbs.

On Monday, for lunch we had roast duck with egg noodles. In the evening, we had a bowl of Pho before flying back to London. So that was our meal plan!

Macaroons have been very popular in the past few years. We noticed many new shops selling macaroons. One of the shops even makes savoury macaroons. See pictures below:





Since we were in Bordeaux over Easter, we had to treat ourselves to some Easter chocolate at our favourite chocolatier: Cadiot Badie.




No comments:

Post a Comment