Wednesday 1 August 2012

Fish, Wings and Tings - July 2012

After her first visit to Brixton Village market, my Australian friend was very keen to come back to try another  restaurant. She wanted to try Jamaican food at Fish, Wings and Tings as it is not something she can find in Australia.
The menu is simple, it has a few small dishes and a few big dishes.

Menu

My friend ordered Jerk Chicken and I ordered Goat Roti.The Jerk Chicken came with rice, coleslaw and pineapple & mango chutney. My friend enjoyed the Jerk Chicken very much. I had a taste of the Jerk Chicken and it was nice enough but I much preferred my Goat Roti. The Goat Roti was very tasty. And according to my friend who had goat many times before and found it too strong in taste, she thought the Goat Roti was excellent. The meat wasn't too strong. She liked the taste of the Goat Roti so much that she ordered one to take away for her lunch the following day!


Jerk Chicken



Goat Roti

On the table there were three kind of sauces. I tried the tamarind sauce as well as the Pepper sauce. Both are excellent and went well with the Goat Roti. As the Tamarind sauce was also spicy, it brought some sourness and spiciness to the dish. 

Various Homemade sauces


On a different visit, I ordered Reggae Wings. It is very similar to the Jerk Chicken but with chicken wings.
Reggae Wings

On the first visit with my Australian friend, the service was friendly and we didn't have to wait too long for our food to arrive. However on my second visit, things were pretty chaotic. They were understaffed. The owner had only one waiter working for him on that day and he was so much behind his food preparation. I was very keen to taste the codfish fritters on that day and the owner told me that it wasn't ready. He asked me to come back in half an hour which I did. When I came back and sat at a table, the waiter was busy with other table and 15minutes later, he was still very busy attending other tables. Since I was starving, I went to place my order with the owner, Brian. To my annoyance, the codfish fritters were still not ready. In fact, out of the 4 small dishes on the menu only the Reggae Wings were available. As for the Big dishes,only Rotis were available as he hadn't cooked the rice yet!
I would definitely come back to this place as I love the rotis however, I will check with Brian first if what I fancy eating is available. If it's not available then I would not wait as it would never be available within the time frame I am prepared to wait!


Fish, Wings and Tings
Brixton Village market



No comments:

Post a Comment